This is not a slam on the iPad. For me these are just the harsh realities of a tablet device. I'm sure other tablet devices are out there (there are others, right?) have the same limitations.
What iPad's do NOT do well … in my experience:
I’m sure there are apps for this, but I don't have them and to be honest I am not interested in paying for them.
What are iPad’s good for?
iPad’s are great devices for:
What iPad’s are GREAT for:
- Travel - checking mail, posting pictures, FaceTime, Skype ... and just generally staying in touch. I took a 2 week trip to Italy and the iPad was the perfect device for all of the points above … and for maps too.
- Reading email (but not for formatting detailed replies)
- Consuming content - news, pictures, videos and everything else that is content centric
I’m not looking to replace my iPad anytime soon. It is great for what it is and does. It is a fantastic device – fun to use, easy to use and it’s a device that brings a smile to my face pretty much every time I use it. However, there are limitations. For me the iPad just is not going to replace my PC in the near future.
What do you think?
- Are you able to replace your PC with your iPad?
- Do you expect tablets to take over and dominate (like the PC has for 30+ years)?
- What do you use your iPad for most – business or personal use?
Look for my follow on post for how I use my iPad.
Image Credit: Graphic Leftovers