Did you hook 'em with the first line?

LI - Oprah's Book Club --- The First Line 2 Last week Oprah Winfrey announced her latest selection for the Oprah Book Club.

As she announced her selection she said something that caught my attention.

She said:

I did what I normally do ...
Read the First Line
(and) See if the first line Gets Me

This caught my attention.

It reminded me of the thousands of presentations I have given and the countless blogs I have written. It got me thinking ... Did I hook 'em with the first line?

I'm pretty sure I didn't, but I am going to spend more time thinking about my first lines. I have been fortunate to have training and guidance along the way, but I'm still pretty sure I missed the mark more than a few times. I know I've got some work to do.

How about you?

Are you hooking 'em with the first line?

If not ... you have some work to do. I know I do too.

Let's get to work!

Here is an excerpt of the video where she describes her process.

In case you missed it ... Oprah selected
"The Underground Railroad" by Colson Whitehead. 

This is cross posted to LinkedIn here.

Image and Video Credits: CBS, Oprah WInfrey

Here is the full segment on CBS

clip_image001Jeff is an expert in the Enterprise Content Management industry. He brings over 20 years of Channel Sales, Partner Marketing and Alliance expertise to audiences around the world in speaking engagements and via his writing. He has worked for Microsoft, Kodak, and K2. He is currently the consulting with Microsoft and partners to drive Community Engagement and Alliances.

Tweet him
@jshuey or connect on LinkedIn, Facebook, or Google+ He is active in the Microsoft Partner Community and is the co-founder and President of the IAMCP Seattle chapter.

He is a contributing author to
Entrepreneur, Elite Daily, Yahoo, US News and to the Personal Branding Blog

image

Comments