Mastering the LinkedIn Pre-Announce

I was walking through our little town to get some pizza with my soon to be college graduate a few weeks ago and we go to talking about whether you should pre-announce your new job on LinkedIn. My initial thought was … no. Then after we walked a little more and talked a little more I realized it actually can make a lot of sense to pre-announce on LinkedIn.

Announcing … The Pre-Announce LinkedIn Update … something you do BEFORE you start your next role. Below are a few ideas and a bit of guidance on how best to organize your Pre-Announce LinkedIn Update.


trumpeters-921709_1920

NB: I also think there is a time to post AFTER you started a new job.
As I wrote in How Soon Should You Update Your LinkedIn Profile

Why Post BEFORE You Start

I think there are a lot of reasons to pre-announce your new role on LinkedIn. Some of the more obvious examples that come to mind are listed below. I’d like to hear your thoughts too. Drop your thoughts in the comments.

  • New college grad
  • Changing industries
  • Changing towns

For new college grads it’s a great way to get the word out that you are:

  • a) Employed – which is a BIG relief for parents. I can tell you from personal experience.
  • b) Making a Change - it gives friends (and family) a heads up where you are headed.

If you are changing industries it’s a good idea to let people know. For example, if you’ve spent your whole career in tech and are making a move to a non-profit or something else the LinkedIn update might be the only way people know you’ve made a change.

If you are moving to a new town the Pre-Announce LinkedIn Update can allow you to hit the ground running. Especially if you are going to be building a new base of contacts and/or build your team.

Does it work?

Yes. I know I notice and I usually comment too. Especially if there is something I can add to help them. In fact, in the past few days I’ve noticed a few friends posting that they have accepted a role for their dream job and they couldn’t wait to tell the world.

A few tips when you do decide to post something:

  1. Think ahead – Know what your new title will be. Perhaps even give your hiring manager a heads up.
  2. Be respectful - Announcing a new job is a proud accomplishment. Revel in it, but don’t rub it in peoples faces.
  3. Include an Ask – If you have something you need … ask. You’ll be amazed at the generosity of people.
  4. Respond when people ask questions – Be prepared with a brief overview of what you’ll be doing.

Pro Tip – Share when YOU are ready. By default the “Shared with Network” option is turned off. When you are ready to share with your network … see the section below at the bottom of your update and slide it to the “On” position.

image

Why does any of this matter?

Mainly because LinkedIn has become the lingua franca of business. It’s the way we stay connected, get connected, and engage with the people we do business with … no matter where they are in the world.

I’m glad I had that conversation with my son on the way to get pizza. I look forward to hearing about his new role and how I can learn from him.

Not that anyone needs my permission, but I think a Pre-Announce LinkedIn Update of your next role on LinkedIn is A-OK.

Post away!

Want more? See my post on Mastering LinkedIn Hygiene

---
linkedinportrait-1444 (1 third smaller) from 3000 to 2000
Jeff is business advisor, mentor and community engagement expert. He brings over 20 years of Channel Sales, Partner Marketing and Alliance expertise to audiences around the world in speaking engagements and via his writing. He has worked for Microsoft, Kodak, and K2.

Connect with me on Twitter @jshuey

Or connect on LinkedIn, Facebook, or Google+

He is a contributing author to Entrepreneur, Elite Daily, Yahoo, US News and to
the Personal Branding Blog with over 250 articles published.

image

Comments

Your article made me very impressed. I enjoyed it, I would expect at your website, or more articles. I love all the posts, I really enjoyed, I would like more information about this, because it is very nice.