Why I do Pay It Forward Fridays

The idea, the concept and the practical application of paying it forward it easy. There is no wrong way to do it. It can be as simple as holding a door open for someone or it can be buying someone’s coffee or paying their toll.

It doesn’t need to cost money and
it doesn’t need to take a bunch of time
.

image

Why Fridays?  Why not every day?

Well, you’ve gotta start somewhere!

---

I’ve also been asked … Why Pay It Forward?

Well the answer is simple … because I can.

Guess what? So can you!

How did I get started?

I’ve been posting Pay it Forward and Giveback posts for about 5 years now. Like most people, I have always paid it forward in one way or another. But, on that day 5 years ago I was in my local coffee shop and realized I had no money and had left my wallet at home too.

Doh! I had already ordered and I felt a little silly saying … “sorry, I don’t have any money” and just then the person in front of me said … “Don’t worry. I’ve got you covered” and then he added “just pay it forward next time” which got me thinking and tweeting.

My first #PIFF Tweet:
It’s Pay It Forward Friday – do something nice for someone today & don’t expect anything in return.
#PIFF #giveback

image

Others have asked why only pay it forward on Fridays? What about the rest of the days? The simple answer is you’ve gotta start somewhere.

paying it forward is
a habit that becomes infectious.

Truth be told … I’m always on the lookout for ways to pay it forward. Whether it’s helping friends find jobs or just smiling or saying hello … paying it forward is a habit that becomes infectious.

Paying it Forward is Easy

It’s something I’ve done for as long as I can remember and thanks to the reach of social networks I have been utilizing them to share the PIFF efforts over the last five years.

I use the hashtag #PIFF which to me stands for
Pay it Forward Friday.

If you like it … use it. If you want to use the more traditional #payitforward that’s OK too.

Let’s start a movement … and Pay It Forward … on Fridays and every other day that end in the letter y.

... continue reading

---

This is an excerpt from my post on the leading career site for Millennials ---
The Personal Branding Blog

I've been writing for the PBB for 3 years and have over 150 posts on topics ranging from career advice, networking, hiring, listening & communicating across generations and taking necessary breaks. 

Read and Comment on my posts here

---

clip_image001Jeff is business advisor, mentor and community engagement expert. He has spent most of his career in the Enterprise Content Management industry. He brings over 20 years of Channel Sales, Partner Marketing and Alliance expertise to audiences around the world in speaking engagements and via his writing. He has worked for Microsoft, Kodak, and K2.

Tweet him
@jshuey or connect on LinkedIn, Facebook, or Google+ He is active in the Microsoft Partner Community and is the co-founder and President of the IAMCP Seattle chapter.

He is a contributing author to
Entrepreneur, Elite Daily, Yahoo, US News and to the Personal Branding Blog

image

Comments