Is “Same” the new “+1”

To me it is. This is a fun post and meant to be taken lightly.

Much as this (apparently) super cool person in California has done with their personalized license plate. Enjoy!image

I have been asked … “What does +1” mean when I add that to a post on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and on other Social Networks.

image+1 is an old term for upvoting something.

Back in the days when I was a UNIX System Administrator there was always a dearth of space for non-business related content. Meaning … hard disk (or tape storage) was at a premium.

Yes, hard disks weren’t always in the form of gigabytes, and they were quite expensive.

How to use +1

It could be something as simple as people asking about a place to meet or eat. Something like …

  • Hey, what does everyone think about going to El Conejo today?” and people would reply with a +1 to mean they were in.
  • Or something like: What do people think about Las Brisas for a first date?” and people could simply reply with a “+1” to let people know that it’s a good choice.
  • Of course, a “-1” (minus one) could be used to indicate NoGo or Not Like.

Interchanging Same and +1

Depending upon the context I often use these interchangeably. I encourage you to do the same.

Today +1 and Same can be shorthand for:

  • I agree with your points here
  • No comments necessary
  • and, a simplified version of “Me Too”

So, is this even a thing today?

To me … it is.

How about you?

Note: On occasion I will put a “+1M” which, of course, means +1 Million … because I really agree with it. Again, I encourage you to do the same.

Things that +1 is not (at least to me) in this context (via wikipedia)

  • image+1 is the ITU country code for the North American Numbering Plan Area, including the United States, Canada, and parts of the Caribbean
  • +1 button, the "like" button of Google Search and Google Plus, allowing users to upvote items
  • +1, a suffix attached to the name of a television timeshift channel
  • AND1 – It’s also not a footwear company or a +1 for being fouled while shooting in basketball.

What do you think?

  • Do you ever use “+1” in posts?
  • Do you ever use “Same” as a replacement for +1
  • Do you ever use Same for anything?

Is this just another silly anachronistic way “old people” – aka Baby Boomers and Gen X’ers are trying to make their “old tech” tricks into mainstream things of today?

Perhaps some of the Millennials and Gen Z’s want to comment here … even if it’s just a simple +1 I will understand what they mean. And, now you will too.

I hope you had as much fun reading this as I did reminiscing about it.

imageNow I’m going to go find my Big Button Phone and think about why “hashtags” were a thing back in the day.

If you know … you know.

Enjoy!

---

clip_image001Jeff is business advisor, mentor and community engagement expert. He has spent most of his career in the Enterprise Content Management industry. He brings over 20 years of Channel Sales, Partner Marketing and Alliance expertise to audiences around the world in speaking engagements and via his writing. He has worked for Microsoft, Kodak, and K2.

Connect with me on Twitter @jshuey

Or connect on LinkedIn, Facebook, or Google+

I am a a contributing author to Entrepreneur, Elite Daily, Yahoo, US News and to the Personal Branding Blog

image

Comments