Low Hanging Fruit is NOT always the best

I was talking with a colleague a while back and we got to talking about “Low Hanging Fruit” related to a project we were working on. And, he said something that resonated with me.


He said, Ya know …
Low Hanging Fruit is NOT always the best
He didn’t say it in a preachy or condescending manner. He just said it matter of factly.
I asked what he meant and he said …
Sometimes the best fruit is on the top. Or even on another tree.
You have to look … then judge for yourself.
And, it got me thinking. And, now writing.

It’s both a metaphor for the way we can approach business and life.

I created a mini-table of Do’s and Don'ts that sum it up for me.

Don’t
  • Settle for what’s in front of you
  • Lose the forest for the trees
  • Keep doing the same thing
Do
  • Take a look at all the options
  • Try different things
  • Be bold


Thanks to Sean Hall for this wisdom, insight, and fodder for deeper thinking.

This spurred my Growth Mindset thinking and allowed (forced?) me to think about goals and objectives in a different way.

What do you think?
  • Do you only look for the low hanging fruit?
  • Do you consider it a waste of time to look in other areas?
  • Do you wait for someone to bring you the best fruit? (Caesar and Cleopatra style)
Drop a comment here on on the social channels where you might see this posted and lets start a dialogue.
---
linkedinportrait-1444 (1 third smaller) from 3000 to 2000
Jeff is business advisor, mentor and community engagement expert. He brings over 20 years of Channel Sales, Partner Marketing and Alliance expertise to audiences around the world in speaking engagements and via his writing. He has worked for Microsoft, Kodak, and K2. He is currently the Technical Alliances Manager at Zerto where he focuses on the Microsoft engagement efforts.

Connect with me on Twitter @jshuey

Or connect on LinkedIn or Facebook

He is a contributing author to Entrepreneur, Elite Daily, Yahoo, US News and to
the Personal Branding Blog with over 250 articles published.

image


Comments

Braddie G said…
This is so inspiring Jeff. You shared such great stuff. I really needed this fat this moment. I am glad I have been going through the tips I need. Etizolam RX Online
Fred said…
Well, let me answer your questions...

Do you only look for the low hanging fruit?

No, not only. But actually, it's always a great way to start things, as you can easily collect a couple of quick wins before spending (too much) time on the tricky tasks.

Do you consider it a waste of time to look in other areas?
Absolutely not. Trial and error is my lifetime choice. ;-)

Do you wait for someone to bring you the best fruit? (Caesar and Cleopatra style)
No. I would consider myself to have a hands-on mentality. That being said, I'm picking my own fruits. :)